Friday, June 6, 2014

Robot Themed Storytime

In preparation for Summer Reading I have been doing a robot themed storytime with my some of my school visits.

I read:
Boy + Bot by Ame Dyckman

















Robots Robots Everywhere by Sue Fliess

















The craft: Paper Robot
What you need:
  • Cardstock cut into various sized rectangles
  • Paper straws cut in half for legs
  • Small strips of paper for arms
  • Foam stickers
  • Pipe cleaner for the head
  • Fizz Boom READ sign (optional)
  • Glue stick
I had the robot bodies made ahead by the wonderful Mikayla.  She glued the head, neck and body together. Each straw piece had two small slits on the sides and a drop of school glue to fit over the base of the body.  Pinch it closed for a couple of seconds and the legs will stick.  I had the kids decorate their robots with a variety of foam stickers.  Once they were satisfied with their robots they accordion folded the arms and attached them to the body. The spring or hair at the top of the robot is made using one pipe cleaner. You can wrap it around a pencil or the kids can wrap it around their finger to give it a coiled look.  I had two tiny holes punch at the top of each robot, so we simply poked each end of the pipe cleaner through the holes and folded the end up to keep it in place.  All the robots turned out awesome.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment