Monday, November 5, 2012

Thanksgiving: Books and Crafts

November is one of my favorite months of the year.  Mostly because my birthday is in November, but I also love fall crafts!  Here are a couple of my favorite fall crafts to do with teens and kids along with some great books.

Teens:
Rectangular leaf wreath. This can be made using cereal boxes or any other scrap cardboard, fall colored leaves at any craft store, ribbon, a pumpkin cut out of foam using a die cut machine, and glitter.  I used a hot glue gun to attach the leaves and ribbon.  These make great presents and are fun to make.  The teens would do this craft in Art club or during a school break.

Kids:
This cute little pumpkin is made out of foam and cute into a pumpkin shape using a die cut machine.  These are simple and fun to make.  Sometime I attach ribbon on the back and other times I use magnet strips.  I find that ribbon glued to the back of the foam works best.  Sometimes for a more cost effective craft I use orange card stock and magnet strips.  This way children can have a choice of crayons or markers.  Glitter is always fun to add to these little projects, but it definitely gets messy with several little ones around.  :-)

Fall Wreath:  This is made with a paper plate, fall leaves, and ribbon.  I cut the center out of a paper plate and punch small holes all around it-just big enough for the stem of the leaf to fit through.  I tape the stems down to the back of the wreath and use a glue stick to keep the leaves flat on the plate.  This one has a cute little squirrel and acorns on it, but it would look nice with a small turkey!


Books:
Piggies in the Pumpkin Patch 
    by Mary Peterson
'Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving 
    by Dav Pilkey
I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie
    by Alison Jackson
Splat Says Thank You! 
    by Rob Scotton
Thanksgiving Rules 
    by Laurie Friedman
'Twas the Day AFTER Thanksgiving 
    by Mavis Smith
The Littlest Pilgrim 
    by Brandi Dougherty
Over the River and Through the Wood 
    by Lydia Maria Child
The Perfect Thanksgiving 
    by Eileen Spinelli



No comments:

Post a Comment